Saturday, October 23, 2010

Hope For The Future - Diversity

I am going to start out with my service site and say that I have not really had a chance to see diversity there as I mostly have been just stickering books. My view of diversity has not changed much at USC because I know I had a good view of diversity before I came here due to the fact that my high school was diverse and the place I have lived have each been somewhat unique and allowed me to meet a lot of people that I liked and disliked. Also being from another state defiantly teaches someone diversity especially if they are as different as New York and SC. To define how I saw diversity before coming here (and how I see it now) is kind of hard to put into words but I can try to explain it. Diversity in my opinion is something that people have to see in order to learn about. Every time someone meets a new person they often pick out what’s different about that person from their selves or their friends. The things that they can pick out as being different, and somewhat new to them, are diversity. For example if a person from a religious and somewhat conservative family goes to the city and meets a metrosexual they will in their heads pick out the things that are different about the city person such as different clothes and ideas and attitude. The things they pick out whether they realize it or not are diversity. That’s sort of how I always thought about diversity things that you can pick out are different from you or what you know. To go on a sort of liberal slant for a moment, I think that the day people learn to see diversity as not something to fear or hate but something to appreciate will be the day when earth become perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment