Friday, November 5, 2010

Religion -vs- Spirituality

"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, & the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people." Karl Marx

         Religion, Spirituality and faith are very different to me. Religion is something man made used by people to express how spirituality makes them feel. Faith is the tool used by the religious elite to persuade the people to follow their beliefs and have faith in what they say is right. Spirituality is a true heavenly feeling felt by people in certain people and moments of time in my opinion. Spirituality is truly unique in that it can only be felt but not understood. I feel like spirituality does not have to be explained and that religion is just the futile attempts of certain people to make sense of what they feel.  IN my opinion spirituality is the closet one can come to feeling a godly presence and otherworldly feeling. Therefore I tend to believe I am a spiritual person with my own morals and set of beliefs but as far as organized religion at this point in time I feel capable enough to understand my beliefs on my own without the need to have someone else try to tell me what they cannot truly understand themselves because in my opinion no matter how hard one studies spirituality it can never be truly explained or understood and that is what makes it special. The south is interesting in that it is very religious but often in my opinion I see religion used in the south, as it is often used elsewhere, as an excuse some people use to be able to try and explain their hatred and ignorance on some issues such as minority rights and racial intolerance. I think USC is nice though because there is such a blend of cultures and religions that create a somewhat welcoming environment for people of all races, religions, cultures, sexualities and nationality’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment